What is a cookie?
Sadly enough, it’s not something you can eat. A cookie is a small text file that the server of a website will save in the browser of your computer or mobile device when you visit the website.This file contains information to allow the website to work correctly.
We never save sensitive information in the cookie that can directly identify you. Your IP address, which could be used to identify you, is anonymized.
More information about cookies can be found on https://cookiesandyou.com/.
What kind of cookies are there?
We can categorize cookies in the following:
- Permanent cookies: these cookies are saved on your computer even when you close your browser. This way we can verify whether your logged in or you dismissed a certain popup or which language you selected.
- Tracking or analytical cookies: these cookies save how you interacted with our website, which pages you visited, your browser language, your browser, … We use these results to enhance our website.
- Temporary cookies: these are cookies that disappear from your device when you close your browser.
- Marketing cookies: these cookies follow your visits across different website and build a user profile. This profile is used to personalise your experience e.g. advertisements, newsletters that match what your interested in.
- Advertising cookies: these cookies track your purchase of a product. They track which link you clicked on and through which website you came. This allows the affiliated website to get a commission.
Who sets the cookies?
Cookies can be created by the server of the website you visit or by the websites partners. The server of a website can only read cookies that they wrote. It has no access to any other information on your computer or mobile device.
Potential partner that can save cookies:
- Google Analytics, YouTube, Google Adwords, Google Maps, Google Remarketing and other Google products: https://www.google.be/intl/nl/policies/technologies/cookies/
- Facebook pixel: https://www.facebook.com/policies/cookies/
- Getsitecontrol: https://getsitecontrol.com/privacy/
- Lightwidget: https://lightwidget.com/privacy
- Hotjar: https://www.hotjar.com/legal/policies/cookie-information
- UserReport: https://privacy.userreport.com/en-GB/for-users/privacy-policy/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/t/terms
Why are cookies needed?
Cookies generally allow the interaction between the user and the website to be easier, faster and help the user to navigate between different parts of a website. Cookies can also be used to make the content or publicity of a website more relevant to a user and even change to the personal needs.
How can you reject cookies?
You can reject cookies, but we can’t guarantee that the website will work correctly. Check out these links for the most common browser to turn off your cookies